Wednesday, February 12, 2014

12 February 2014: Food for Thought

First of all, as I mentioned in the last post, I made a video about England's Nutella sometime during my second week here. I hesitated on putting it up, seeing as how I'm a bit awkward on film, but maybe some of you will get a bit of a laugh over it.


While we're on the topic of food, several days ago, one of my friends from back home asked me what they called American cheese over here. I took some photographs to show him, and he complimented the English on being brutally honest. I don't really care how unappetizing it sounds on the packaging, though. Stick some of that onto a chicken patty sandwich with a squirt of mayo and I'm a happy little Ellen!
Today while I was at the grocery store with my friends, I noticed that there weren't any pudding cups. There were yogurt cups, (or "yoghurt," as they would spell it here), and there are delicious mousse cups (which are MUCH better...I'd take a frothy lemon mousse over tapioca pudding any day!), but no pudding cups. When I got home, I asked one of my friends if there were pudding cups anywhere here. He had to google what that was and said that if it's the same thing as yogurt, then there are. I told him that it's different than yogurt and had a really hard time explaining what pudding is in America. I then asked him if pudding was really just that cake stuff, and he said it is, but no one really eats it except for on Christmas. I then learned that pudding can be used as an all-encompassing term for dessert. Like, you can have a Popsicle for pudding. But pudding is still pudding. And pudding is also not pudding. And Yorkshire pudding is fried dough, which is COMPLETELY different than pudding. Whatever pudding is.

I never thought that I would be this confused about pudding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment