Wednesday, February 5, 2014

5 February 2014 part 2 - A Journey to Morrison's

This evening, right after I'd finished eating a sausage roll from the fake grocery store across the parking lot, my friends knocked on my door and told me that they were going to the real grocery store, Morrison's, and wanted to know if I wanted to come along. I was more than excited to go with them. I mean, I've been surviving off of Nisa just fine, but the thought of having a bit of variety in my diet was way too tempting to pass up.

When we got to the store, we walked inside to get our carts. They were all chained together. My friends each got out a pound coin, put it into a cart, and unlocked it from the others. I raised my eyebrows. It cost a coin to use the carts?! However, after seeing the utter confusion on my face, my friends explained to me that I'd get my pound coin back at the end and this was their way of preventing grocery cart...I mean "trolley"....theft. I was still pretty confused, but put in my pound coin to get a cart.

The store was a bit surreal, I'm not going to lie. Sure, the produce section was all very familiar to me, but mostly everything else was different. The brands and logos were mostly things that I wasn't used to. I mean, like, with the exception of the sweets, they were all things that I'd seen at home...just in different packaging.

When we turned into the sweets isle, I glanced to my right and dramatically gasped. Not just a little intake of breath. My hands both flew to cover my mouth. My friends saw this and laughed a bit, knowing that this was one of the biggest moments of my life. Before me was a rack of Kinder surprise eggs. I quickly put one into my cart. I haven't eaten it yet, though. That's going to get its own blog post.


As I wandered through the store, I felt like a real adult. I was doing price comparisons, prioritizing things, planning out meals, and even chose to get the grown-up turkey instead of the turkey stuff that had a dinosaur in the middle of it. It's weird how much this experience is making me grow up.

Although to be fair, those dino things are quite rad. Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous someday, I'll get some.

At the end of the shopping trip, I was waiting in line, minding my own business, when I walked into some plastic barrier thing. An alarm sounded throughout the entire store. I looked down and saw that the barrier was labeled as being alarmed. For a solid 10 seconds, everybody in Morrisons was looking toward me. I just kind of chewed on my tongue and tried to look sheepish. Leave it to me to do something completely socially awkward in the middle of the grocery store.

When we left the store, we hooked our ca--trolleys back into the hooks. Once it got hooked in, the pound flew back out. I suppose that it makes sense, but at the same time, anyone with a pound can steal a trolley...

Oh well. Whatever. I'm just glad that I have a variety of foods to choose from now! However...as lame as this sounds...I'm not really hungry right now, so I might just have a Mama noodle cup a little bit later.



No comments:

Post a Comment