Friday, December 20, 2013

Eleven More Days

When you're a humanities major at a small private liberal arts college with fairly good grades and a little bit of money tucked away in the bank, it's almost expected that you'll pack up your life for one semester of your junior year of college to go study the humanities in a different country. Although I hesitated to follow this path, seeing as how I'm one of those people who's afraid to order pizza over the phone, I ultimately decided that I wanted to study in England.

I'm not sure what the deciding factor was that caused me to embark on this journey. Maybe I wanted to quench my secret thirst for adventure. Maybe I wanted to prove to myself that I could do something like this. Maybe I just had a soft moment while watching "Love, Actually." I don't know. All that I know is that in eleven days, I'm getting on an airplane and flying to York, England.

Why York, you may ask? Well, to me, it just seemed like the most logical move.

I've already been to New York City, NY:
                                (Never stop smiling, 8th grade Ellen. You just keep on keepin' on.)


I've already been to upstate New York:
  (Yes, 16-year old Ellen. That is a perfectly acceptable outfit to wear while eating with statues of   FDR and Eleanor.)

And I've already been to York, PA:

 
(Remind me why the cemetery at a Presbyterian church in York, PA was a good place to take photos?)

So I guess that York, England is just going to be one more "York" to check off of my list.

Right now, I'm still living under the impression that none of this is happening. I have four luggage tags from IFSA-Butler, all of my paperwork is (hopefully) in order, I've purchased a bunch of "socially acceptable/non-fandom related" clothes to wear over there, and yet I still cannot comprehend that I'm actually going to study at the University of York from the first of January until the 28th of June.

Hopefully realization will hit me in the next few days so that I'll actually start packing...

But until then...

*Goes back to watching Rastamouse on Netflix*

1 comment: