Thursday, January 9, 2014

9 January 2014: Feeling Like I Belong

Today when I woke up, I had a sore throat and the early signs of a cold, so I thought that today would be a crummy day. However, it turned out to be one of the best days that I've had since being in England...including all of the days that I spent exploring London!

At 11AM, my one seminar had a brief meeting with our tutor. Only six or so of us came, but it was nice to meet those people. The one girl and I chatted for a bit after, and they all seemed really nice. I'm a lot less nervous for class now that I know that I'll be in a kind environment.

After that, I went to the information centre (no, that's spelled correctly) to pick up my student I.D. It sounds stupid, I know, but getting that I.D. completely turned things around for me. From the moment I had that little plastic card in my hand, I really started to feel like I belong here. I walked around campus with a new sort of confidence, no longer feeling like some strange American who was bumbling her way through England, but like a York student.


Tonight, just as I was finishing up another section of the book I'm reading for my one class and thinking about going down to the kitchen to heat up some pasta, some of the people in my house invited me to get Chinese food with them. I happily agreed. We all hung out for several hours, playing games, eating food, and laughing. I cannot even begin to tell you how much better I feel now that I've got some friends at this school. It's been so long since I've let down my guard like that. I had fun explaining how the cities in "Glee" are not all within walking distance, telling them how Cleveland works, learning some new words ("So what exactly IS a quid?"), and learning yet again how much better British television is than American.

Not even 10 days into this trip and I'm already starting to feel like I belong. It's a wonderful, wonderful feeling.
 Oh. And this was marked down to 1 pound. So I got 80 teabags for a pound. Or a quid, as it were. :)

1 comment:

  1. certainly sounds like you are on your way! enjoy!!!! (oh, and study some, too--haha!)

    ReplyDelete