Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 3, 2014: I REALLY Needed The Internet (Oh, And London)


Early Morning

            (At some point, I’m going to start writing the date in British…)

            Last night, this time zone thing really kicked in. My first night here, I was so exhausted from traveling and all that jazz that falling asleep was effortless. However, last night, my body was all, “Dude. It’s only 7PM.” Don’t get me wrong. I was DEFINITELY tired enough. However, after I took my shower and crawled into bed, I stared at the wall for over an hour, trying to sleep. It didn’t work. I played a couple of iPod apps to calm me down. Didn’t work. Tried every “fall asleep game” on the planet. Nope. Got up to get some water. Nope. Ate one of those Ben’s Cookies (Which I’ll have to say are the absolute best). Nope. Finally, around 3AM, my body let me fall asleep.
            Now, I’m waiting until my noon meeting with the two other York people. After that, we’ll have a 1pm lunch, and then, the day is ours for exploring! It’s my last day in London, so I can’t wait to see what adventures I find : )  Even though I’m more than happy that I’m not living in this big ol’ city for the next six months, I have to admit that I love being here for a few days at a time.
            It’s just like that song from “Sweeney Todd” says: There’s No Place Like London.


January 3, 2014: Evening

            What. A. Day!

            Since the meeting was so small, I was able to chat a bit with the Butler staff. We were all talking about how much the lack of wifi is bothering us. I said something along the lines of, “yeah, I just wish that I could tell my parents that I got into London safely,” and one of the staff was like “You mean you haven’t talked to your parents yet?!” and she let me e-mail my mom off of her phone, which made me feel loads better. I’m not sure if she got it yet and I haven’t heard if there was a response (mainly because I didn’t see her at all after the meeting), but at least I’ve let America know that all is well in England.
            After lunch, one of the other people going to York and I decided to do London in an afternoon. It was all so exciting. We navigated our way out of the sketchy Soho area that we’re in now and went to the places that clean-cut humanities majors from small private liberal arts college like to explore. We went to the British Museum, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Parliament, saw the London Eye, saw Westminster Cathedral… it was all so incredible! As we walked back through a park, we decided that maybe we’d like London a bit more if we had been staying in that half of town instead of the area that we’re in now, but I suppose that that’s why we’re going to York and not staying here, because the other people on our trip all seem to love this part of London. Now, I’m laying on my bed in my hotel room, far too exhausted to even think about finding something to eat. I might just be a huge noob and get some Burger King to go and bring it back to the room…but right now, my feet hurt far too much to even think about making that adventure.

                                                                  The British Museum
                                                   Obligatory picture of the Rosetta Stone

                                                                 Selfie with Big Ben!
                     What's more British than a double decker bus with One Direction on it?!?!?!
                                                    Outside of Buckingham Palace
                                            The Union Jack flying over Buckingham Palace
           
Later:

            Dinner turned out to be some trail mix, some crackers, and a Ben’s Cookie. (I think that I’ll take a couple of the vitamins that mom packed for me as well…) Right now, I’m trying to re-pack all of my things so that I’ll be ready to board the train tomorrow. We’re meeting in the lobby at 8:15 AM so that we can get to Kings Cross with enough time to visit platform 9 ¾ (eee!!!) Looks like I’m bringing my Harry Potter scarf in my backpack tomorrow ;)
            After the adventure that I had today, I do admit that I’ll miss London a bit…but I REALLY can’t wait to get to York!
 

1 comment: